Monday, March 17, 2008

#18 Bragging


Korean moms love to brag. Bragging often leads to competetive comparing (see # 2). They will brag regarding just about anything, usually in the presence of other Korean moms. Anything from bargain shopping, their children's accomplishments, or the daughter-in-law's Korean cooking are up for bragging rights. When a Korean mom brags it is extremely deceptive to one who has never witnessed this event before. At first glance, the Korean mom is complaining about her child's straight A's or her 50 for 1 dollar panties from Costco. She will act as if these things are burdens to bear, not crowning achievements. Do not be fooled, she is indeed bragging. If you are foolish enough to enter into a brag-off with a Korean mom, do not attempt to console her while she acts sad or annoyed by the home made kimchee her daughter-in-law made on her hands and knees on the linoleum floor. Instead tell your own brag-sob-story to one up her. Then watch out....game on. Be forewarned, do not attempt to enter into the conversation while a large group of Korean moms are bragging. It will only result in your demise due to the overwhelming power of several Korean moms' stank eyes (see #5) bearing down on you at once. Once when I was a kid I overheard my mom bragging to her church friends about how I was finally growing boobs. You should have heard her pained and annoyed tones, punctuated with sighs, as she described my anatomy to her Korean mom friends. I can still hear her now...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!
my mom loves bragging too. she brags about anything esp about me or my brother LOL!!
and all her friends are like her too LOL

Anonymous said...

My kmil is the QUEEN of bragging. I joke with my husband that his mom probably brags to ppl that he and his brother poop gold, lol. She will brag about anything.

Seoul Brother said...

Come to think of it, my mom likes bragging about your breasts too!

Sue said...

To friend: Oh my daughter so smart (lie), she going to fancy school (bigger lie), she making lots of money (even bigger lie), she so beautiful (biggest lie of all).

To me: Why you so fat.

Heather *IsaBella and Harrison's Mommy* said...

Sue, you are so funny! Correction - you're so punny! Yes, my mom loves to brag as well, and will even go so far as buying herself something nice and then giving me credit for it just so she can brag... Sigh... She's actually just buying it in advance because I will have to pay her back for it so it isn't a lie...

Love always,
Heather

sandra said...

it is in their korean blood

CL said...

LOL. my mum does that whole buy and brag thing. but i do pay for it. probably about 0.000001% of the whole price. and she'll be all "my sweet daughter bought me this with her OWN allowance!" (sadly my mum doesnt have that korean accent because we live out of korea but shes still got her AmAzInG qualities (lol).

Anonymous said...

my KM made me show my boobs to her friends because, nakedness among other women is nothing to be ashamed of. i was about 14,& they were already bigger than hers. it was one of the most mortifying experiences of my life. one of the reasons why i love my KM. thanks for teaching me humility, right? she was telling one of the other ladies who had gotten a boobjob that they loked really nice but that mine were real and what a shame that they were already so big when i was so young. it was one of those 'why am i being tortured with this god?' kind of moments. she made me hold up my shirt while they discussed the pros/cons of real vs. fake. it was enlightening.

Anonymous said...

That is truly awful, Anon@2009-08-31